Another conference brought me back to the UAE for a quick stop over – 48 hours only. The Social Media World Middle East was part of The Internet Show at the ADNEC, the big exhibition centre in Abu Dhabi.
Within my 48 hours stay I only had two hours to do some sightseeing, so I had to prioritise. I trusted the recommendation of some locals I met at the hotel and went to the Emirates Palace – impressive but really just another hotel – and the Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque during sunset – breathtaking!
No matter how long you stay in a place, you always return wiser than before. So what did I note down in my travel book this time?
- Internet Shows in the Middle East don’t necessarily mean you can access the Internet at the venue. That’s the reason for so few tweets from me during the last two days.
- Internet Shows in the Middle East have really cute mascots – and I got one to take home. 😀
- You can distinguish the origin of Arab men by the pattern of their Keffiyeh.
- Abu Dhabi is more of a building site than Dubai. Roads change daily and driving rules with them it seems, which can be scary at times
- It is not allowed to take pictures of the homes of the Sheiks – even if they right behind the exhibition centre that you can see from your window.
- Better don’t order vegetarian meals on an Etihad flight, otherwise, you might end up with spinach for breakfast. Thank god I packed some Kinder Country.
- And last but not least, it is very hot under an Abaya but totally worth wearing it, if you want to see the Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque from inside. It is definitely the most impressive building I have ever seen!!